Summary: Gastroenterological & Surgical Clinical Society Support
Several key professional associations have announced society support for the TIF procedure with EsophyX device:
- American Gastroenterological Association (AGA) 
“[T]he three‐year plus evidence is sufficient to demonstrate sustainable improvement in health outcomes, symptom relief, decrease in PPI utilization and improvement in esophageal pH with transoral fundoplication.
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) 
ARS is appropriate for individuals who: “(1) Failed medical management, (2) have complications of GERD and (3) have extra-esophageal manifestations (asthma, hoarseness, cough, chest pain, aspiration).”
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) 
“Endoluminal antireflux techniques represent potentially new therapeutic indications for GI endoscopy.”
- American Society of General Surgeons (ASGS) 
“[T]ransoral fundoplication adheres to fundamental surgical principles. We also believe that there is a sufficient body of peer-reviewed literature that establishes transoral fundoplication as reasonable and medically necessary for a subset of patients who are candidates for surgical fundoplication; specifically, patients who either cannot obtain satisfactory relief from standard PPI therapy or who wish to avoid a lifetime of dependence on such medications, and present with a 2 centimeter or smaller hiatal hernia.”
- The American Medical Association (AMA) created a new Category I Current Procedural Terminology (CPT®) code—43210: EGD Esophagogastric Fundoplasty procedures. The new CPT code, which includes a procedure descriptor associated with the TIF procedure, took effect January 1, 2016. The application for the new code was jointly sponsored by four key specialty medical societies: American Gastroenterological Association (AGA), American College of Gastroenterology (ACG), American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE) and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES).
 ASGE Standards of Practice Committee, Muthusamy VR, Lightdale JR, Acosta RD, Chandrasekhara V, Chathadi KV, Eloubeidi MA, Fanelli RD, Fonkalsrud L, Faulx AL, Khashab MA, Saltzman JR, Shaukat A, Wang A, Cash B, DeWitt JM. The role of endoscopy in the management of GERD. Gastrointest Endosc. 2015;81(6):1305-10.